By Derek Neighbors, Published on September 19, 2012
Here are five smells seen in organizations that are not fully cross functional and are trying to simulate cross functionality with some variation of “DevOps“.
- The development team doesn’t have a fully local development stack on their machines/pairing stations.
- Someone other than the development team deploys the software. (The exception being an automated continuous deployment created/owned by the development team)
- Someone other than the development team owns the build/continuous integration process (or you don’t have one at all)
- The development team can’t create/deploy a simulated production environment for any version of the software with data in under 60 minutes.
- The deployment process is not fully automated with the ability to automatically rollback.
The above definition of “development team” is the team writing the application.